Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 1

So we finally got underway and surprisingly we were darn close to the schedule – 4:06pm was when I send a text to many of you that are following this trip – actually we left Chase’s school a minute or two before 4pm. Packing went well (but I never found the shorts I was looking for – I will do a post on lost clothing items in the future) no big fights prior to departure –little N was a little whiny but was a trooper helping to get the final items done prior to departure. I have gotten a lot of emails from friends and coworkers after I sent out my final blast – we got a bunch of unexpected responses including one from Taiwan and one from South Africa wishing us well – I leave it to you to determine who wins the prize for farthest distance. Additionally I have received a number of great emails suggesting fun place to stop: Summerfest in Milwaukee and Taste of Chicago as well as Lava Hot Springs Idaho. It already looks like there will need to be a second trip to explore some of the things we will obviously miss this time through

So as we hit the road and the song “Born to be Wild” came on and I knew we were on our way. My initial impression is how brown and rural much of Washington State is – for those of you that never drive east of Ellensburg – there is plenty of sagebrush. Little N kept saying "I can’t believe we are still in Washington" and I was kinda agreeing with him. Where I-90 crossed the Columbia river there is a place called the Wild Horse Monument – we stopped there and took a couple of photos – it was one of those unexpected stops - neat and worth the 5 minutes to stretch and look over the mighty Columbia... I will get some photos up in the next couple of days I'm still working out the bugs.

3 comments:

Auntie C said...

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start. I am so thrilled that I can be with you on all of your adventures and not get carsick! Can't wait to see what happens next- planned or unplanned. I need to head to bed because it is race day tomorrow. I will wish you luck if you wish me luck too!

Big D said...

Auntie C - Best of luck at the Race we are all rooting for you.

Schoolie and Me said...

This is the best kind of trip for us..all the fun but none of the mess. We love the pictures and the dialogue..well, most of it.
We are trying out Ronnie's human straw concept and find it is about as successful as pea burbling.
Hats off to Big D and you,for this couragous, family bonding,memory making trip.